My wife and I have used Spotify since it launched in the United states in July 2011. Honestly, it’s hard to imagine our musical lives before Spotify. In fact, I haven’t bought an album in years. If you don’t count records that is. Yeah, yeah, I’m a hipster, moving on…
I love Spotify. However, there has always been a huge issue with their service. Put simply it is the inability to share your account with family. Two phones logged into the same account could not stream music at the same time. This was a huge issue for my wife and I. When I contacted Spotify a few years ago about some form of family sharing plan they said “it is not a service they have plans to offer.” Needless to say I was bummed, but not detoured. I found a simple way around this obstacle that worked well enough. Luckily, the need for this simple hack is no more. Monday October 20th Spotify Announced the unveiling of a family plan for iOS and Android. This is welcome news! Here are the basics of their new plan.
- Premium for everyone – Offline, ad-free music for all the family.
- The more the merrier – Get 50% off each extra account.
- Your account. Your music – Enjoy separate playlists and recommendations.
- No tantrums – Everyone can play at the same time.
- Me + 1 family member $ 14.99
- Me + 2 family members $ 19.99
- Me + 3 family members $ 24.99
- Me + 4 family members $ 29.99
Needless to say, I a very excited. I think we’ll be upgrading even if it means paying an extra $5.00 a month. What do you think? Will you be switching over or will you continue to use one account among a few people using the workaround I did? Let us know in the comments below.